Original: Cassad.Net / Interview by Victor Shapinov
Translated from Russian by Inessa Chabalina
Edited by S. Naylor
Militiaman with the call name “Artem” – my old comrade from “Borotba.” Before the war, he organized the working-class youth of Donbass in the struggle against fascism and capitalism, built a local cell organization. When the war started, he could not stand aside and joined the militia. Now “Artem” is wounded in the hospital and I had a chance to talk to him.
– Comrade, tell me how you got into the militia?
– When Maidan events just started, I had a feeling that this time the opposition would move on into a more dangerous stage. Compared with the “Orange” revolution in 2004, in 2014 there were already many organized, prepared, nationalist youth with good financing. The Ultras’ groups had grown and matured. Therefore, there was a feeling that this time they will pass the brink, and civil war is brewing. A split in society existed before, but it was, so to speak, moral civil war, but now the nationalists got a real opportunity to beat, maim and kill dissidents, and do it under the protection of the State. When I saw the death of innocent civilians, and especially the approving mood of a few local “pro-Ukrainian” patriots, I realized that time has chosen us all. The only solution for how to deal with the situation was on us. In this situation, I just went out and started helping the militia.
– In which militia unit are you fighting?
– Joint Army of South-East.
– What kind of combat tasks performed?
– Misc. Let it remain a military secret for now.